Saturday, January 19, 2008

"What the hell should I do with all this money?"


Henning Mankell is one of my favorite authors and a real hero. His Chronicler of the Winds, has stayed with me a long time after reading it. It is a deeply affecting novel. When I read his quote, "What the hell should I do with all this money?", I knew he was my kind of "rich guy" - a giver. This is a quote from an interview posted on his web-site:

What drives Henning Mankell as an author? – "The fundamental driving force for me is to, with poor ability; create a changing of the world we live in. It becomes worse and worse on every level. It is about exploitation, plundering and degrading. I have a small possibility to participate in the resistance. Most of the things that I do are part of a resistance, a form of solidarity work. I wish that I could do more of value and that the world changes to a place of decency."

I don't think the translation from Swedish is the best, but you get the idea that this is a guy with a social conscience.

So, you may wonder, what did he do with "all this money"? He built an African village in Ghana! He donated 15 million kronor ($2.3 million) for the construction of homes for orphaned children in Mozambique. He's a terrific guy, as well as a great author.

1 comment:

dharmamama said...

Yay! This and The Opposite of Love! I was looking for books to read. Guess I need to visit your other blog, eh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...