Monday, February 11, 2008

Fun Monday

O0h, a shiny pen is hosting this week's Fun Monday. Ok, here is the assignment.


Music plays a vital role in most of our lives. It is everywhere. I want to hear the ONE song that is you. The song that whenever it is heard, you smile. I am not looking for the soundtrack of your life, just that one song. Your friends hear it and think of you. You can post the video, the lyrics, the wav file. However you want to post it is great.

I was born before Rock & Roll. I remember going to my Dad in 1956 and asking if it was OK to listen to Elvis. I told him that at least one of my girlfriends had been forbidden to listen to him, or any Rock & Roll. Afer brief deliberation, my great Dad, said it'd be fine. After all Elvis was just a country boy. Yeah, Dad.










So, I think "my song" is really this:

I've Got A Rock N Roll Heart

I've got a feeling
we would get serious girl.
'Cause right at this moment
I could promise you the world.

Before we get crazy
before we explode

There's something 'bout me baby
You got to know
you got to know.

I get off on fifty seven chevys
I get off on a screamin' guitar
Like the way it gets me
every time it hits me.
I've got a rock 'n' roll
I've got a rock 'n' roll heart.

Feels like we're falling
into the arms of the night
So if you're not ready
don't be holding me so tight

Guess there's nothing left
for me to explain

Here's what you're gettin'
and I don't wanna change
ain't gonna change.

I get off on ... (chorus)

Don't need no glitter
no Hollywood;
All you got to do is lay down
lay it down good.

I get off on ... (chorus)

I got
I got a rock'n'roll heart.


I couldn't find a single video of Clapton doing this on YouTube; so I just included the lyrics. By the way, I'm a hair older than Clapton, and if I were Mrs. G, he'd be my secret boyfriend.

Because of my Rock & Roll heart, my daughters received a Rock & Roll music education, not too well rounded. No classical or jazz, but Rock, Blues, and Reggae. I remember, once, when she was a teenager, one of them came to me wondering why she automatically knew the words to all the "oldies". Guess it's 'cause she heard 'em from the time she was in the womb.

18 comments:

Joy T. said...

Ahhhhhhhh Elvis!!!! Sorry. I always wanted to do that. A great song you picked. And I'm a huge Eric Clapton fan. Tears in Heaven is one I listen to constantly.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Oh yes...I have a rock 'n roll heart too!

Megnificent said...

Elvis, so dreamy.

Jenni said...

I have to thank you for posting the young Elvis rather than the one I remember from my early childhood:o) My kids know all the words to the oldies, too, though some of their oldies are a little newer than Elvis. My 13yo frequently walks through the house singing some song that would be an oldie to me. He knows all the words to "American Pie". Yes, ALL of them.

Robocop said...

Rock And Roll!!!

Junebug said...

I have always loved Eric Clapton, my husband plays the guitar. And Elvis! I grew up watching his movies.

the rotten correspondent said...

My mom passed on her rock and roll heart too. Thank goodness.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Excellent choices in music.

It's never mentioned in Lamaze classes, but parents are required to pass on their music knowledge to their children and teach them well. Consequently, my children are conversant with Elvis, the Beatles, and even Queen.

Anonymous said...

That's funny about knowing the "oldies," and I know them, too. Elvis is always a good choice. And, I ditto Joy. I love Tears in Heaven, too.

Linda said...

Ah, Elvis and Clapton, now there are some fine rock and roll grandaddies! Great song pics!

Molly said...

I was born before rock and roll too. I saw Elvis perform in his gold suit in 1957. Eric Clapton is one of the finest guitarists ever. Tears in Heaven and Layla are some of my favorites.

Mamalang said...

I'm younger, but my children all know the classics as well. Good Rock and Roll never goes out of style.

Courtney said...

Elvis can make anyone have a heart for rock n roll.

Alison said...

great choices Jan...too funny asking your dad if you could listen to Elvis...not look at what our children are listening to!!!

Anonymous said...

I think I saw Elvis walking on our River Walk the other day... he would stop every once in a while and shake his hips. "thank you... thank you very much...." NLM

the planet of janet said...

ah, elvis!! yay!

Irish Coffeehouse said...

My mind can only imagine living during the years of Elvis and the Beatles (and any other noteworthies that are slipping my mind at this time). I don't think my generation had any "all the rage" soon-to-be icons or legends like that.

I'm not familiar with that song, but it sounds great.

Cynthia said...

We love Eric Clapton!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...