Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Weekend

Book Expo was great; here's a recap:
  • At the first lunch I attended, one of the authors was Bertie Bowman, his book is Step by Step. He was a great speaker and I'm excited about reading his book describing his experiences from age 13 to 77, his current age, working for the U.S. Senate. Yes, you read that correctly, he ran away at 13 from South Carolina and went to Washington D.C., and got a job with the U.S. Senate.

  • Terry McMillan, was a dynamic speaker and had very negative views regarding publishers, she called them racist and sexist.

  • The Children's Author Breakfast with Sherman Alexie, Judy Blume, Neil Gaiman and Eoin Colfer was sidesplitting funny. They all told wonderful personal antedotes about their lives and how they write. The funniest line of all was when Sherman Alexie said, "I can't believe I'm on the same stage as July Fucking Blume". She was probably the most famous of the four.

  • Dennis Lehane, Ted Turner and Azar Nafisi, were all great. I have to tell you I had no idea Ted Turner was funny, let me tell you he was hilarious.

  • The Sunday lunch, with Micheal Connelly and Dean Koontz was fabulous. Two very different authors on stage being interviewed. They were both very gracious and forthcoming about themselves and how they write.


Between all of these events there were a million other things going on. Mainly I walked the book floor talking to people, meeting authors, getting free books. I came home with more than a years worth of reading. Most I'll read, some were for Bob, some for family, some for my bookseller friends, and some I'll give away. My birthday is in July, so maybe for my birthday I'll have a give-away.

Lots of characters were there.
























Some attendees got massaged and some had their teeth whitened. The teeth whitening was a first for me at a trade show.














Here's James Patterson signing books for the charity First Book.











The rest of my author pic's, aren't very good, mostly poor lighting in the rooms and I couldn't get very close without being obnoxious.































There were a few things going on outside the convention center, too:









3 comments:

Flutterby said...

Love the pictures! That looks like it was a lot of fun. Turner has a huge ranch here... he's a real riot on occasion, lol. And the *drama* regarding my blog didn't happen on my blog... it was via an entire post on someone else's blog referring to mine very deliberately and in an extremely holier than thou manner that just really set me off. It was very hurtful and I am still astounded that someone I considered a friend would do something like that.

Allie said...

I would so love to do something like that someday! But I don't think that I will becoming a book seller any time soon. Bummer.

Unknown said...

That looks like a great time! I bet that was SO much fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...