Friday, August 22, 2008

Good News

"Even in this soft retail environment across America, the book business is stubbornly holding up."--Barnes & Noble CEO Steve Riggio in a conference call with stock analysts yesterday as quoted by Reuters.

"People have been painting apocalyptic scenarios for the last 10 years, but in the midst of a horrible environment, we sold more books than last year."--Riggio in the same call, quoted by the Wall Street Journal.

I guess we're still reading. Yeah. I think store sales are down a little, but on-line sales are up. That, of course reflects the gas prices and the general economy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good news indeed.

I do most of my book buying online -- much easier that way and I don't even need to wear shoes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...