Friday, September 12, 2008

Charlie says "Charge 'em..."


In 2000, Wasilla Police Chief Charlie Fannon defended Wasilla, Alaska's policy of charging rape victims for the cost of rape kits and forensic examinations.  The City of Wasilla, under Mayor Sarah Palin, was charging sexual assault victims for the kits and exams, which cost between $300 and $1200, at the time.  The kit, a package of sample containers, swabs and other medical supplies, is used to collect evidence from women after they are attacked.

Palin had been in office for four years when the practice got the attention of state lawmakers in 2000.  They passed a bill to stop it.  Then-Gov. Tony Knowles said the Wasilla was unique in the state in charging rape victims for cost incurred by law enforcement in trying to solve the crime.  Former Democratic Rep. Eric Croft, who sponsored the bill, said he was disappointed that simply asking the Wasilla Police Department to stop hadn't worked.

I wonder if they charged other crime victims for solving their crimes?  I'm thinking they did not.  They could have charged burglary victims for dusting for prints, or let's see, kidnapping victims, if they lived, for tapping phones or arresting suspects.  I know it's ridiculous, but since most sexual assault victims are female, this charge was all-out sexist; and Sarah Palin, who strives to be one heart beat away from the Office of President of the United States, was mayor when her city did this.

5 comments:

Gattina said...

If that is true I only wish that she get raped once ! What a monster !

Mrs. G. said...

Jan, I am in shock that this woman is generating so much excitement in the Republican party. Have people lost their frickin frackin minds?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jan: The more I hear about Palin the more I am disappointed in the choice. she has no international experience.

kjpweb said...

Ouch! Well - we know how to vote anyway!
Let her continue to be Governor, although if I'd be in Alaska, I'd be for a change there, too!
Cheers, Klaus

maryt/theteach said...

Geez, Jan, I can't believe this! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...