Saturday, January 10, 2009

Daryl interviews me.

The charming Willow of Willow Manor was interviewed by Steph at Incurable Insomniac .  Then Willow interviewed Daryl, and now Daryl is interviewing me.  Daryl offered to interview anyone who left 'interview' in their comment, and I will, too.  .

Here it goes:

1.  Working at Barnes & Noble gives you excellent access to new books .. do you enjoy recommending books to friends?  What's the most recent recco you've offered?  I do enjoy recommending books; it's actually one of my joys.  These are my most recent favorites. Life After Genius by M. Ann Jacoby; Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford; Etta by Gerald Kolpan; American Rust by Philipp Meyer; The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews. I read a lot, so there are dozens more. The best way to track what I like is at Loves Books N Tea.

2.  Before you retired what did you do?  Did you enjoy it?  Right before I retired, I ran retail stores, I was a retail manager.  Like most of my jobs, I got into it by happenstance.  Carrie was working PT at Victoria's Secret and I was doing outside sales in the automotive field.  I thought, Carrie is loving working there, I think I'll turn in an app, and work PT, too.  Much to Carrie's displeasure, I was hired as a manager, in her store.  Because of workplace ethics she either had to transfer or quit.  I think she's forgiven me, it's been over 20 years ago.  After Victoria's Secret I ran a furniture store, This End Up; I was recruited to Crabtree and Evelyn from there.  I really liked working retail.  I'm a people person and a good manager, so I was in my element.

3.  You teach a martial art .. tell me about it .. and how did you come to love it enough to teach it?   I started Tai Chi, hoping it would help migraine headaches.  It didn't, but I fell in love with Tai Chi.  It is very meditative; and even though the movements are very slow, it's a full body workout.  When I retired, I joined the Tai Chi group in my community; about 6 years ago our teacher, Grace, became disorientated and really didn't know what was wrong, so I stepped in.   She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and has survived.  She's very happy taking class from me.  This is a volunteer position, no pay involved.  I teach twice a week, and love it.

4.  If you could live anywhere, money is no problem, where would it be?  Why?  We've talked about this, pie-in-the-sky talk, once in a while with our daughters.  What we've come up with is Hawaii, California, and Vermont; homes in each place to visit whenever we want.  There's not much wrong with California, we all love Hawaii, especially Kauai and Maui, and Vermont for variety.  Of course if money were no problem, I'd throw in Manhattan, too.

5.  If you where given a free first class round trip ticket to anywhere .. where would you go?  This is a hard one for me, I've never been to Europe, so Europe.  My first choice would be........I don't have a first choice.  Here is where I'd go, (Europe is so small compared to North America, you can get around, once you get there) London, Paris, Provence, Tuscany, Greek Islands.  Oh and Norway and Sweden.

Here's the directions:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the
questions).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview
someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask
them five questions.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...