Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fun Monday


Angela is the boss this week and this is her assignment:

OK, I know that pretty much all of you out there are bookworms.

So for Fun Monday on 2nd February, firstly tell me what book you are reading now. What's it about? Are you enjoying it and why? If not, why not?

And secondly, if you were to be stranded on a desert island, what one book would you take with you.



Right now I'm reading Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese. It's a brand new book that will be published tomorrow, February 3. Verghese has written other books, but this is his first novel and it's a terrific twentieth century epic that wonderfully blends a family drama and medical practices into an Ethiopian political thriller. It's very long, over 500 pages, but the prose are wonderful and vivid; the story is gripping. I'm lucky to be a bookseller; one of the many benefits is getting to read books before they're published. Yeah, for Barnes and Noble.


The second part is harder, because I don't know. I'm never without a book, even when I went to jury duty last week, I took two books, just in case I had to stay all day. I'm betting if I was stranded on a desert island, I'd have packed at leat 5 books. So, I'll give you Lists.

All Time Favorite Books

All the Pretty Horses
Mystic River
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Things They Carried


Best New Books I've Read Recently

The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Etta
American Rust
Songs for the Missing
The Flying Troutmans
My oldest blog is for book reviews, I hope you'll find something to read there.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...