Saturday, February 7, 2009

TV ='s D

An article in the L.A. Times reports a study done over a 7 year period.  The subjects were interviewed regarding their television habits when they were teens.  The results showed that the more TV viewed as teens correlated to more depression as an adult. 

"Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh and Harvard Medical School looked at the media habits of 4,142 healthy adolescents and calculated that each additional hour of TV watched per day boosted the odds of becoming depressed by 8%."

"Other forms of media, such as playing computer games and watching videos, didn't affect the risk of depression, according to the study published today in the Archives of General Psychology."

I think there is some validity in this.  When I was a girl, I usually had my nose stuck in a book or other reading material.  (When I was a girl, in ancient times, there were no computers or videos.  I know, I'm old.)  On the other hand, my sister has never been a reader and she watched a ton of TV.  We both did other things; ran around outside, played games, did housework and homework, etc.  

I have very rarely felt depressed; when I do, I can usually talk myself out out it.  However, to me, my sister is a classic depressive.  She never recognizes her depression; just keeps laughing, eating, being inactive and ignoring any Doctor's advice, unless it suits with her.  She really hides behind her excessive weight and seeming jolly-ness.

My sister reminds me of my mother-in-law, who smoked herself to death.  Millie always said, Those doctors don't know what they're talking about.  She never quit smoking, and died before she turned 65.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...