Saturday, February 9, 2008

Round Robin Challenge!

EAT YOUR VEGETABLES is the challenge. Here are the guidelines from The Round Robin Photo Challenges :

Jill, one of our newest members,who authors the blog, "Letting Crazy Take A Spin" recently submitted the idea, and here is what she says..."Anything veggie related. Veggies can be so interesting.

"So, does that mean you should take a photo of yourself eating veggies? No, of course not. But you could photograph one of your very favorite vegetables to have with dinner. Or maybe a lot of vegetables on display, like at the grocery store or market stand. How about your favorite salad? Sure, why not? As long as it is veggie related you will be on track. Even if you HATE vegetables, you can take a picture of the one you hate the most, and then tell us why. LOL. Personally, I love my veggies, and I can think of a thousand different ways this challenge can be done. But first, every once in a while it's a good idea to review the rules a bit, so lets do that now. There are a whole list of reasonable rules, please check 'em out at the link above.

Here are my pic's:

This is my front porch, decked out for autumn.


In case you aren't sure the pumpkins and gourds are vegetables.




As a bonus, this is my fav. vegetable soup:


Toasted Corn Soup
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 to 2 ribs celery, finely diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups frozen white corn, thawed
3 cups chicken broth

Heat the oil in a medium size heavy saucepan (preferably nonstick) on high heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the diced celery ribs and corn. Let the mixture cook on high until the pieces start to brown, then stir and continue to brown the vegetables, stirring only when the bottom pieces start to turn color (this should take about 10-12 minutes).

Stir in the chicken broth and heat just until boiling. Serves 4.

18 comments:

Alison said...

the soup sounds delicious...I will have to try it!!

Anonymous said...

I love soup this time of year. Could eat it morning, noon, and night. Will certainly try this one. Thanks!

Nancy said...

Cool shots...and thanks much for the recipe!

Nancy

MyMaracas said...

The soup sounds great! I'll have to try that. Love your porch arrangement, too.

Vicki

charish said...

Thanks for the recipe. i will have to try it.

Robinella said...

Great display. Soup sounds yummy.

Mary Alice said...

Ohhh...I like the sound of that soup.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

This looks so good!

Sandy said...

Ooh, I love recipes and I have tons of veggies to use up in my frig.

Beautiful pics.

Sandra said...

Thanks for the recipe!

Sandcastle Momma said...

Your porch is beautiful and those gourds are huge! The recipe for the soup looks really good and I'll be trying it soon - thanks!

Carly said...

Hi Jan:)

And Welcome to the Round Robin Photo Challenges. You first entry for the challenges is wonderful. LOVE the pumpkins. I keep one on my desk for most of the year, it will probably give up on me sometime around May, but until them it's nice to have my Beta Carotene pal. Thanks for the little glimpse of autumn. :) Also thank you for the soup entry. YUM I appreciate that more then you know. I MUST give it a try. And I think I probably will sometime next week. Ok, now I am completely hungry. LOL. Once again WELCOME.

Always, Carly

Karen Funk Blocher said...

The soup sounds great, and I like the way you've photographed the ingredients. Defining the word "vegetable" can be so slippery, can't it? Gourds, roots, tubers, berries and fruits can all be vegetables, I suppose. To me, if it's not sweet, it's a vegetable. If it's sweet, it's a fruit. But then what about sweet potatoes? Hmm. That doesn't work, either.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, your arrangement of pumpkins and gourds is excellent as well. Welcome to the Robins!

Unknown said...

I love your porch, pumpkins and all. :) The soup sounds yummy! Anything with corn should be good. :)

Anonymous said...

Can I add chicken to my soup? I'm such a carnivore!
Nice shots :-)

Janet said...

Yum, corn soup! Love it!

Kiva said...

Oh, wow, a recipe for corn soup that is not creamy. Love it. Am going to try it when I get home. Your pictures bring memories of an old fashioned autumn. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...