Friday, March 21, 2008

My Camera

Countrymouse asked about my camera - Hey--what kind of camera do you use? I always enjoy your photos. Thank you, thank you, very much.



The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS


It's almost the perfect camera, for me.
I'd put photography on the back burner a number of years ago. My old cameras were just that, old. When I retired, 12 years ago, I'd had them refurbished, but they still really didn't work well, and I just gave up. I really loved the old ones, Pentax ME & ME Super. I toted these dinosaurs everywhere, to Hawaii, Yosemite, on the Harley, in the Camero, the Bonneville, the Chevy P.U., where ever I went. I love black and white photography, so I had one loaded with black & white film, and one with color film. Oh, the old days. This is them:




Everything, together, including the camera bag, weighted about 7 or 8 pounds, and was very large.













Now, my new little beauty, the Canon PowerShot SD700 IS, fits in my purse, or the front pocket of my jeans. I love it. It does almost everything I want it to do. What it doesn't do is the long distance shot. Close ups are almost always great, but see that long lens on the above photo. I really miss that. The ability to get to close-up of the small bird or rabbit, etc.



See that rabbit?

I want to be able to get a much better shot, so it looks like a rabbit, not a blob.


So, I'm looking to add an additional camera, of course the one I'm looking at would be as handy, but there's always trade-off. Trade-offs are part of life, and love, even. I'm not quite ready, yet, but when I get a new camera, I'm going to be logical and sensible. Lisa Marie wrote about a place to rent a lens or a camera to try it out. I might do that. She's one of my favorite photographers, as is Angela. I'm going to look at what they're using. When I bought the SD700, I had no clue, but loved what Carrie was doing, over on the Right Coast, so I consulted her. Friends and daughters are good. Daughters who are friends are the best.




This is what I'm thinking about, right now, subject to change, of course,
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi. I haven't done the research I want to, so we'll see what happens. I'm in no hurry, and a lot of other things have priority, right now. I'm hoping for Christmas. Don't you think a new camera would be a nice Christmas gift?

Oh, and I'll eventually get rid of the dinosaurs, but it's tough, I've had them for over 30 years.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yes, I think you need a new camera. :) I think you would still keep your little one, but it's nice to be able to get those longer shots.

Thank you for the huge compliment. :)

country mouse said...

Wow--lots of good information! Glad I asked : ) And I vote for you to keep your "dinosaurs" and let your grandkids cherish them later on : )

Glad to have your recommendation on Three Cups of Tea too. A customer told me about it, but it's always nice to hear more than one good word!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...