Thursday, April 3, 2008

Poem


April is National Poety Month, and this is one of my favorite poems. One of the reasons I like it so much is I have wonderful memories of camping both as a girl, with my Dad, and as a woman with my own family.


When We Sold the Tent

by Rhina P. Espaillat

from Playing at Stillness.

When we sold the tent
we threw in the Grand Canyon
with its shawl of pines,
lap full of cones and chipmunks
and crooked seams of river.

We let them have the
parched white moonscapes of Utah,
and Colorado's
magnificent of flowers
sun bursting hill after hill.

Long gentle stretches
of Wyoming, rain outside
some sad Idaho
town where the children, giddy
with strange places, clowned all night.

Eyes like small veiled moons
circling our single light, sleek
shadows with paw prints,
all went with the outfit; and
youth, a river of campfires.



Do you have a poem you love, and want to share?

Inaugurated by the Academy in April 1996, National Poetry Month (NPM) brings together publishers, booksellers, literary organizations, libraries, schools, and poets around the country to celebrate poetry and its vital place in American culture. Thousands of businesses and non-profit organizations participate through readings, festivals, book displays, workshops, and other events.

4 comments:

Mel said...

Jan, I got your book in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to read it. And my roomates really can't wait to read it, they already asked me if they can read it first!:) Thank you!

Allie said...

Hi Jan! I got the books today! Yeah! I've been anxiously awaiting them and thank you again. Nice poem by the way.

Allie said...

Ha! I just read your comment on my post. I feel like an idiot! No wonder that page took so long to come up. I just deleted that post, thanks for sharing. Silly me. We would have had our hands full!

Unknown said...

Hey, I got the book too. :) Thank you so much!

I used to write poetry but it's been so long I am way rusty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...