Sunday, June 8, 2008

Books

I thought I'd tell you my picks for the best books, so far, this year. It's a tie, I love both of these novels. Pick them up, check them out, you won't be sorry.


This is a complex novel by a great storyteller. It deals with the importance parenting, family, and location, in all our lives. As much as I loved this story, I found it too complex for a tidy summary, so I'm offering a quote from another author.

“Marisa Silver is the author for whom we've all been waiting. With unabashed voice she steadily, bravely, unerringly tells a heartbreakingly beautiful story for our time. The God of War is the truest novel I've read in ages.”
- Alexandra Fuller, author of Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight



The novel's premise, a dog living a good life so he can be reincarnated as a human, is creative. The execution, told from the dog's point of view, is brilliant. The dog, Enzo, recounts a heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, friendship and hope. Enzo learned much of what he knows about the world by listening carefully to his master and watching television, when he’s home alone; including his theory on reincarnation. The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life, as only a dog could tell it. This one is moving fast, it’ll be on the best seller list, soon.



Also, worth your time, Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos.

3 comments:

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I like the sound of The Art of Racing in the Rain. I feel a trip to AMazon coming on.

Unknown said...

I like the idea of the book from a dog's view. :)

Thanx for good ideas. :)

Ami said...

Dear Jan--I work with Garth Stein, and I just wanted to let you know that I'll be passing your blog post along to him because I know he'll want to read it. I love The Art of Racing in the Rain, and I'm so thrilled that you like it too!

I actually have a lot of promotional Go Enzo! buttons leftover from Garth's tour, so let me know if that's something your B & N might be interested in having on hand with the books. All best,
Ami Greko, Folio Literary Management

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...